An easy to prepare, healthier snack option perfect for fall! Use as an afternoon pick me up when you find yourself slowing down on a cool fall day. Also great as a healthier dessert alternative!
2 cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp almond butter (or peanut)
1 tsp vanilla extract (or almond)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree Continue reading
September is “National Whole Grain Month”! Here are some tips to increase your intake of whole grains.. try something new this month! Remember.. aim for making at least half of your grain intake a whole grain option.
- Try multiple loaves of whole-grain bread to find a new favorite. Remember to look for whole wheat or whole grain listed first on the nutrition facts ingredients list.
- Serve brown rice instead of white rice.
- Swap potatoes for a whole grain side – quinoa, bulgur, or wheat berries.
- Look for the whole grain stamp on the front of packaged food items.
- Try a new breakfast cereal with at least 16 grams of whole grain per serving.
- Serve whole wheat pasta instead of white pasta. Or do half-and-half for a whole grain rich pasta night.
- Buy grain you have never tried – Look in the bulk bins at the store.
- Cook a pot of steel-cut oatmeal on the weekend to eat for breakfast during the week. After cooking, store in individual containers in the fridge for an easy whole grain meal.
- Make pizza night whole grain rich with a whole-wheat crust.
- Bake cookies with whole-wheat flour instead of white.
- Serve burgers or hot dogs on whole-wheat buns.
- Try a new recipe. Visit wholegrainscouncil.org for recipes.
- Use whole corn meal when baking corn bread or muffins.
- Add cooked whole grains like wheat, rye berries, brown rice, sorghum, or barley to canned soup.
- Add ½ cup uncooked oats for each pound of ground beef or turkey when making meatballs, burgers, or meatloaf.
September is national whole grains month! Try this healthy turkey burger mixed with oats and served on a whole wheat bun for a double whole grain rich meal! Perfect for a late summer backyard barbecue. Serve with grilled veggies or a fresh fruit salad for a complete meal.
1 cup regular oats
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained well
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
6 (2-oz) whole wheat sandwich buns, toasted
tomato slices, and lettuce leaves for topping Continue reading
A light and refreshing side dish to a summer meal! Great as leftovers, too. Quinoa is a whole grain packed with fiber and protein. Serve this dish with a spiced grilled fish or chicken for a perfect meal.
2 tsp grated lime zest
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 (14 – 15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Continue reading