Every year many people make New Years resolutions to better themselves for the new year. Majority of people do not meet their goals. Here are some tips on setting and meeting your goals for 2016.
- Change One Behavior at a Time: When setting your goal for the New Year, make a list of all you want to accomplish in 2016, then choose to focus on one goal that will either have the greatest impact on your life, is easy to accomplish, or simply is the greatest chance of success.
- Break Your Goal into Multiple Action Commitments: Break your goal down into smaller steps, and hold yourself accountable for each step. This will help take a long term goal, and bring it into the short term. With small, attainable goals, you will be more likely to stick to the big goal.
- Put Your Goal & Action Commitments into Writing: Keep your goal posted somewhere visible so you can review it and re-engage on a regular basis.
- Talk About It: Enroll a friend in a goal setting partnership where you support each other on a weekly basis to meet your goals. Consider joining a support group to reach your goals, such as a workout class, or a weight loss program.
- Don’t Beat Yourself Up: Perfection is unattainable. Minor missteps are normal and OK. Don’t give up completely if you fell off the wagon, pick yourself back up and jump back on. Use the slip as a learning opportunity on how to prevent it from happening again.
- Reward Yourself: Give yourself some kind of acknowledgement when the action steps are accomplished and a big reward when the final goal is reached. Do not make the rewards counteractive to you reaching your goal. For example, if your goal is to lose weight, choose a reward such as a new pair of shoes instead of a food reward.