My husband, Sean (and I!), LOVED this corned beef I made for St. Patrick’s Day! So simple to make and so so so flavorful and tender. Try with my favorite Cabbage & Potato Bake! Perfect St. Patrick’s Day meal. And, if you have any leftovers (we did not…) make homemade grilled reubens with the leftover corned beef.
3 lbs pre-packaged raw corned beef
black pepper, to taste
salt-free seasoning blend, to taste
1/4 cup hot sweet mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1. Take the corned beef out of the package (along with the seasoning out of the accompanying packet) and place in a stock pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Drain, and repeat process with fresh water. (This helps to remove excess salt from the brined corned beef.)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Lay the corned beef (fat side up) on a large piece of aluminum foil large enough to make a “tent” with. Season as desired with black pepper and salt free seasoning blend (sometimes if there is excessive amount of fat, I trim before seasoning).
4. Spread the top with the mustard and sprinkle the brown sugar over the top. Make a tent with the aluminum foil.
5. Place foil packed corned beef on a baking sheet and bake for 2 hours, or until tender.
6. Open the foil pack, spread a little more mustard over the top and broil until bubbly and slightly browned.
7. Let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing across the grain. Serve, and enjoy!
Yield: 6 servings