Need dinner in a flash? Try this simple recipe for individual meat loaves! With very few ingredients (and many of them pantry staples) this dinner will be on the table in less than 45 minutes! While the dish is cooking, make a side of mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables for a warm and filling meal.
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp chipotle salsa, divided
1/4 cup ketchup, divided
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef, extra lean (or lean ground turkey)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine egg whites in a large bowl and stir well with a whisk. Stir in oats, 1/2 cup salsa, 2 Tbsp ketchup, and black pepper. Add beef and mix well.
3. Divide beef mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into an oval-shaped loaf.
4. Coat a foil lined baking cheese with cooking spray. Place loaves on prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.
6. Combine remaining 2 Tbsp salsa and 2 Tbsp ketchup in a small bowl. Spread mixture evenly over loaves. Serve.
Yield: 4 servings (190 calories, 6 g total fat, 2.1 g saturated fat, 25 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fiber, 60 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, Fresh Food Fast April 2009