A perfect bundt cake for a summer brunch. Fresh blueberries and lemon juice pair perfectly together in this cake. Garnish with lemon rind ribbons and fresh blueberries.
1 1/2 Tbsp dry breadcrumbs
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
4 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp nonfat buttermilk
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To prepare cake, coat a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with breadcrumbs.
3. Combine granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt); stir with a whisk. Add blueberries to flour mixture; toss to coat.
5. Combine 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1/3 cup juice, and extracts. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool on rack.
7. To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar in a small bowl; add 1 tablespoon buttermilk and 1 tablespoon juice, stirring with a whisk until combined. Pour glaze over warm cake; cool completely.
Yield: 16 servings (304 calories, 9.8 g total fat, 5.7 g saturated fat, 4.7 g protein, 49.6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 68 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, April 2009