Fajitas are a staple in the dinner rotation at my house – quick to prepare, fresh, and flavorful! Try this version which uses marinated chicken! Throw it together in the morning and let marinate all day while you are at work.
3/4 cup dark Mexican beer (like Negra Modelo)
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch thick strips
1 cup sliced onion
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 (6-inch) whole grain tortillas
1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
salsa, as desired
reduced-fat sour cream, as desired
fresh cilantro leaves, as desired
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well. Place chicken in a zip-top plastic bag. Add 3/4 cup beer mixture to bag; seal. Reserve remaining beer mixture. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, turning occasionally.
2. Combine onion, bell peppers, and remaining beer mixture in a zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Marinate for 1 hour at room temperature.
3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and black pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
4. Remove onion and bell peppers from bag, and discard marinade. Add onion mixture to pan; cook for 6 minutes or until tender, turning after 3 minutes.
5. Toast tortillas in pan, if desired.
6. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates, and divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Divide onion mixture evenly among servings. Garnish with jalapeño slices. Serve with salsa, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (377 calories, 9.4 g total fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 31.6 g protein, 39.8 g carbohydrate, 4.3 g fiber, 66 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, January 2011