Serve this simple crock pot meal over polenta or pasta. Serve with some steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
This dish is great as leftovers too — can easily transform the leftovers into a soup by shredding the chicken and adding chicken broth, diced zucchini, diced carrots, and any other veggies you may have — just simmer all together until veggies are tender.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs (or breast)
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup tomato puree (or 2 Tbsp tomato paste)
2 Tbsp capers
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl. Add half of chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Place chicken in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes.
4. Add wine; bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes.
5. Add bell pepper mixture, tomato puree (or paste), and next 6 ingredients (through diced tomatoes) to slow cooker.
6. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until chicken is tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 8 servings (307 calories, 11.4 g total fat, 2.9 g saturated fat, 29.8 g protein, 17.4 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 153 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, March 2014