A fresh meatless dinner option perfect for a spring evening. Serve with a salad made with mixed vegetables for a complete meal.
3 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 1/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice
3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 oz chopped fresh mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups torn fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1. Bring vegetable broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently.
3. Add rice to pan; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup broth to rice mixture; cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reserve 1/3 cup broth. Add remaining broth, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 22 minutes total).
4. Stir in tomatoes; cook for 1 minute. Add cheese, pepper, and salt to rice mixture, stirring constantly until cheese melts. Remove from heat; stir in reserved 1/3 cup broth, spinach, and basil.
5. Place 1 cup risotto in each of 4 shallow bowls. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil over each serving.
Yield: 4 servings (362 calories, 11.5 g total fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 8.8 g protein, 57.5 g carbohydrate, 4.4 g fiber, 19 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, October 2012