A saucy, creamy pasta dish with no cream or milk?? WHAT? Cook the pasta similar to a risotto to release starch into the cooking liquid which in turn becomes the sauce. Toast the noodles to add a nutty, rich flavor profile.
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
8 oz uncooked penne pasta
1/2 cup sliced shallots
5 garlic cloves, sliced
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
6 oz baby spinach
1/2 oz grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
oregano leaves (garnish)
1. Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pasta; cook 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove pasta from pan.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, shallots, garlic and bacon to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stir often. Remove bacon mixture from pan.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return pasta to pan. Add stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is nearly absorbed before adding the next (about 35 minutes total), stirring frequently.
5. Stir in bacon mixture, juice, lemon rind, spinach, and cheese. Garnish with oregano, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings ( 394 calories, 11.8 g total fat, 3.1 g saturated fat, 46 g carbohydrate)
Adapted From Cooking Light, Simmer & Boil Blog