I love soup during cold weather! This is a deliciously light and flavorful dish. The orange rind really makes it shine with bright flavors. Serve with crusty bread and a fresh salad for a complete meal.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
12 oz skinless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
2 Tbsp tomato paste
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup uncooked couscous
3/4 tsp salt
1 zucchini, quartered and sliced in 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
2 tsp grated orange rind
1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add onion, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add chicken; cook for 4 minutes, browning on all sides.
3. Add cumin, cinnamon, and pepper to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Add butternut squash and tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in Chicken Stock, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes.
5. Stir in couscous, salt, and zucchini and cook 5 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove pan from heat. Stir in chopped basil and orange rind.
Yield: 4 servings (292 calories, 8 g total fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 24.4 g protein, 31.7 carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 83 mg cholesterol)
Adapted From Cooking Light, January 2012