A delicious combination of pork, rice, cabbage, and sauerkraut. Just throw in the slow cooker before heading to work and you will have a warm, delicious meal waiting for you when you get home!
12 large green cabbage leaves
3 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1/2 pound lean ground pork
1/2 pound low-fat pork breakfast sausage
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 (14.4 oz) can shredded sauerkraut, rinsed
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1. Cook cabbage leave in boiling water 3-4 minutes or just until tender. Drain well.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5-7 minutes or until tender. Remove pan from heat and stir in rice. Cool for about 15 minutes.
3. Combine rice mixture, pork, pork sausage, and pepper. Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into center of 1 cabbage leaf. Fold in edges of leaves. Starting at stem end, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining leave and filling.
4. Combine sauerkraut and caraway seeds. Spoon half of sauerkraut mixture into 4-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Top with half of cabbage rolls, seam sides down. Repeat laters with remaining sauerkraut mixture and cabbage rolls.
5. Combine tomato juice, brown sugar, and tomato paste, stir well with a whisk. Pour tomato juice mixture over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Serve rolls with sauerkraut mixture.
Yield: 6 servings (287 calories, 10.8 g total fat, 3.8 g saturated fat, 17.7 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 55 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, Oxmoor House 2012