A deliciously easy and inexpensive one skillet vegetarian meal! Serve with a side salad or oven roasted vegetables and some whole grain bread for a complete meal.
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp thinly sliced shallots
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/2 cup low-sodium marinara sauce
1 (14-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup vegetable broth (or use the liquid from the chickpeas)
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
4 large eggs
2 oz pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
2. Add shallots, rosemary, red pepper, and garlic; cook 2 minutes or until shallots are tender, stirring constantly.
3. Add marinara, chickpeas, and broth – bring to a simmer. Stir in spinach, salt, and black pepper.
4. Break eggs evenly over marinara mixture. Simmer gently for 15 minutes (do not stir) or until egg whites are almost set.
5. Cover, and cook for 1 minute or until egg whites are set (yolks should still be runny). Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Yield: 4 servings (259 calories, 13.6 g total fat, 3.1 g saturated fat, 12.3 g protein, 20.8 g carbohydrate, 4.1 g fiber, 185 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, December 2012