Looking for a quick meal using a prepared supermarket food item? Try fish tacos for dinner using frozen fish sticks! Look for fish sticks that are low sodium, natural, and use sustainable fish. Bake them at a higher temperature than called for on the box for a crispier crust! A delicious and quick dinner than transforms an already prepared boxed item into a gourmet dinner.
3 Tbsp light sour cream, divided
2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
1 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp grated lime rind
3/8 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
2 Tbsp low-fat milk
1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
16 frozen fish sticks
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
8 lime wedges
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Combine 1 Tbsp sour cream, mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp ime juice, chipotle chiles, sugar, vinegar, lime rind, 1/4 tsp salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir well with a whisk. Add coleslaw and toss to coat.
3. Combine remaining 2 Tbsp sour cream, remaining 1 Tbsp lime juice, remaining 1/8 tsp salt, milk, avocado, and garlic in a mini food processor. Process until smooth.
4. Arrange frozen fish sticks in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees F for 27 minutes or until browned and crisp. Turn once during cooking.
5. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Top each tortilla with about 1 Tbsp avocado mixture, 2 fish sticks, and 1/3 cup slaw mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
Yield: 4 servings (374 calories, 16.6 g total fat, 2.3 g saturated fat, 12.5 g protein, 46.3 g carbohydrate, 6.8 g fiber, 28 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, September 2013