A simple barbecue style marinade with only 8 ingredients – most of which are pantry staples! Serve with a crunchy kimchi-style slaw (recipe below) for a delicious and simple meal!
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
1 Tbsp pineapple juice
2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1 1/2 tsp sake
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 (4-oz) bone-in pork chops
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; add pork to bag. Seal; marinate at room temperature 25 minutes.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove pork from bag; reserve marinade.
3. Sprinkle pork with salt. Cook pork 3 minutes on each side or until done.
4. Pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until thickened.
5. Brush pork with reduced marinade, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve.
Kimchi-style slaw: Combine 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 1 to 2 teaspoons Sriracha, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon canola oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage and 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions; toss to coat.
Yield: 4 servings (195 calories, 9.4 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 17.7 g protein, 8.9 g carbohydrate, 0.3 g fiber, 49 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, June 2009