Serve these deliciously grilled chicken skewers over rice with some steamed asian veggies for a complete meal.
1 cup sake
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
4 (6-oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 36 (3/4-inch) cubes
5 garlic cloves, crushed
5 cilantro sprigs
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
9 green onions, cut into 36 (2-inch) pieces
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Remove ginger with a slotted spoon, and place in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce mixture, pepper, chicken, garlic, and cilantro to ginger in bowl; toss well. Cover and chill 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat
3. Bring remaining soy sauce mixture to a boil; cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; slowly add vinegar and oil, stirring with a whisk. Divide soy sauce mixture into 2 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each); set aside.
4. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread 3 chicken pieces and 3 green onion pieces alternately onto each of 12 (8-inch) skewers. Place the skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill for 8 minutes or until done, turning after 4 minutes and basting occasionally with 1/4 cup reserved soy sauce mixture.
5. Place skewers on a serving platter; serve with remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce mixture.
Yield: 4 servings (365 calories, 7.6 g total fat, 1.7 g saturated fat, 36.2 g protein, 20.6 g carbohydrate, 1.1 g fiber, 94 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, June 2011