Marinate overnight and throw the beef in the slow cooker in the morning before heading out to work – when you get home you will have a tender, juicy italian beef sandwich ready for dinner! Serve with a fresh salad for a complete meal.
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 1/2 lb rump roast, trimmed
1 (14-oz) can low-sodium beef broth
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
8 Italian rolls
Giardiniera (pickled vegetables), chopped (optional)
1. Combine Italian seasoning, red pepper, rump roast, beef broth, and garlic in a large zip-top bag and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Place beef and marinade in an electric slow cooker; cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef is tender.
3. Place beef on a cutting board (reserve cooking liquid) and let stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice beef, place in a shallow dish. Pour cooking liquid over the beef.
4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Slice rolls lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Hollow out top and bottom halves of rolls, leaving a 3/4-inch-thick shell; reserve the torn bread for another use.
6. Arrange about 3 ounces beef and 2 tablespoons bell peppers on each roll. Drizzle 1 tablespoon cooking liquid over beef and peppers; top with giardiniera, if desired. Serve with remaining 2 1/2 cups cooking liquid for dipping.
Yield: 8 servings (386 calories, 11.3 g total fat, 3.4 g saturated fat, 39.4 g protein, 29.2 g carbohydrate, 1.8 g fiber, 102 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, October 2009