You know those crazy mornings when you wake up too late and are stressed out and rushing around? I have the perfect breakfast for those busy mornings because you definitely don’t want to skip breakfast and starve all the way until lunch! Make sandwiches ahead and freeze – to reheat just pop in the microwave for about a minute!
12 whole-wheat English muffins
12 slices reduced fat cheese
12 eggs (or 3 cups egg substitute)
1/4 cup reduced fat milk
black pepper and salt to taste
12 slices cooked meat (turkey sausage, ham, turkey, bacon, etc)
1. Cut english muffins in half and spread on a baking sheet. Broil on low until toasted (be sure to watch them and make sure they do not burn!). Remove from oven. (this toasting step is optional)
2. Place cheese slice on the top half of each muffin after toasting.
3. Beat each egg with a little milk and cook up in a skillet coated with cooking spray. (Or, use a muffin tin and bake in the oven! Be sure to spray well with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until set). Lightly sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
4. Place egg on the bottom half of each muffin and top with the meat of your choice.
5. Let cool lightly. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and freeze.
6. To reheat, unwrap sandwich from plastic wrap and wrap loosely in a paper towel. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until heated through.
7. Optional – top with fresh veggies (spinach, tomato, avocado, etc) after reheating for extra healthy and filling breakfast!
Yield: 12 sandwiches