The weather is perfect for grilling! Mix it up this Meatless Monday with a portobello mushroom “burger”! Veggies are great on the grill – make a marinated veggie skewer as a side dish for a delicious meal. For dessert, toss some fruit on the grill! Pineapple, peaches, nectarines, pears, cantaloupe & apples hold up well on the grill.
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut in half and seeded
1 yellow bell pepper, cut in half and seeded
1 (4-inch) portobello mushroom caps
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper, to taste
4 (2-oz) Kaiser rolls
1/2 cup soft goat cheese
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic in a large bowl. Add bell peppers and portobello mushrooms; toss gently to coat. Remove vegetables from vinegar mixture, and discard vinegar mixture.
3. Place bell peppers and mushrooms on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side. Remove vegetables from grill; cool slightly. Cut bell peppers into thin strips. Combine bell peppers, basil, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
4. Cut rolls in half horizontally; spread cheese evenly over cut sides of rolls. Arrange 1 mushroom cap on bottom half of each roll; top each serving with about 1/3 cup bell pepper mixture and top half of roll.
5. Place sandwiches on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Place a cast-iron or other heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten. Grill 3 minutes on each side or until bread is toasted (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook).
Yield: 4 servings (317 calories, 10.5 g total fat, 4.8 g saturated fat, 14 g protein, 41.7 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, May 2008