With grilling season upon us, this recipe is a unique way to grill shrimp skewers! Serve with some rice and grilled or steamed veggies for a complete meal.
12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 plums, quartered
2 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup bottled hoisin sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sherry
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp five-spice powder
1/4 cup julienne-cut green onions
1 lime, quartered
1. Prepare grill.
2. Toss shrimp, plums, ginger, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Thread 3 shrimp and 3 plum sections alternately onto each of 4 (10-inch) skewers.
3. Combine hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sherry, ketchup, brown sugar, and five-spice powder in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Spoon 1/2 cup hoisin sauce into a cup, place remaining sauce in a serving bowl.
5. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray and cook for 4 minutes. Turn kebabs, and brush with about 1/4 cup sauce. Cook 4 minutes. Turn the kebabs and brush with about 1/4 cup sauce. Cook 2 minutes, turning once.
6. Serve reserved sauce as a dipping sauce. Garnish with onions and lime wedges, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (220 calories, 6.4 g total fat, 0.9 g saturated fat, 18.6 g protein, 21.5 g carbohydrate, 1.5 g fiber, 130 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light, June 2001