Cauliflower is packed full of good-for-you nutrients – trick a picky eater into eating cauliflower by hiding it in a cheesy sauce for a new take on the classic Mac n Cheese. If you want another recipe to hide cauliflower from a picky eater, check out my Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes recipe!
1 head (1.5 lbs) cauliflower, core discarded and florets cut into 2-inch pieces
4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper
3/4 cups Gruyère cheese, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
12 oz elbow macaroni
3 cups small broccoli florets
2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove. Add cauliflower and carrots – cook 15 minutes or until tender.
3. In a blender, combine broth, cream cheese, mustard, cayenne, Gruyère, salt, and black pepper. With a slotted spoon, transfer cooked cauliflower and carrots to blender. Puree until very smooth.
4. Add pasta to same pot of boiling water that the vegetables were cooked in. Cook half the time that the label states. Add broccoli during the last minute of cooking. Drain, and return to pot. Stir in cauliflower sauce and half of tomatoes. Spread in 2 1/2 quart shallow baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and tomatoes.
5. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top and heated through.
Yield: 6 servings (345 calories, 9 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 53 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein)