A fresh and bright meal – perfect for a light dinner or a weekend lunch. The peppery arugula and bright acidity of the lemon pair well with the lightly pan fried chicken breast.
4 (4-oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups panko bread crumbs
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups baby arugula leaves (about 2 oz)
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten the chicken to about 1/2-inch thickness. (i like to flatten the chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to ease cleanup)
2. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl to blend. Mix together panko, 2 Tbsp parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper on a plate. Dip chicken in eggs, dredge in panko mixture to coat.
3. Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side.
4. Transfer chicken to plate and sprinkle with lemon juice.
5. Toss arugula and tomato with remaining olive oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. (I tend to squeeze a lemon wedge into the salad also) Mound salad atop chicken and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Adapted from a recipe found on epicurious.com