Instead of a pizza crust, up your veggie intake with a eggplant “crust”! A fun way to get the whole family involved in pizza night – have each family member top their own mini eggplant pizza with their favorite toppings. I love making mine with mini pepperonis and sautéed mushrooms & onions!
1 eggplant sliced into 1/2-3/4 inch rounds
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cups petite diced tomatoes (I use canned)
2-3 tsp italian seasoning, divided
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1. If desired, place sliced eggplant, lightly sprinkled with salt, on paper towels to draw out the moisture. Let sit about 30 minutes and then wipe dry with paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush eggplant slices with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with italian seasoning, if desired. Roast the eggplant slices for about 25 minutes.
3. While eggplant cooks, make sauce. Sauté garlic in remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, italian seasoning, and oregano. Simmer on low until it is thickened – break up the tomato chunks with a fork as it cooks. (if it gets too thick, add water as needed)
4. When the eggplant slices are done cooking, remove pan from the oven and set the oven to broil.
5. Top the eggplant with sauce, toppings as desired, and cheese. Place pizzas under the broiler until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Adapted from a recipe by Julia Child