A combination of two delightful sandwiches – a Cuban and a Monte Cristo. Great for a weekend lunch or a light dinner.
2 slices firm whole-grain bread
1-2 tsp mustard
4-5 dill pickle rounds
2 slices low-sodium ham
2 slices low-sodium turkey
2 thin slices Swiss cheese
1/2 garlic clove
2 tsp light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp skim milk
black pepper, as desired
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1. Spread mustard on one slice of bread. Top with pickles, ham, turkey, and cheese.
2. Mince and mash garlic to a paste and mix with the mayo. Spread on remaining slice of bread and assemble sandwich.
3. In a shallow bowl, beat egg, milk, and pepper. Soak sandwich in egg mixture.
4. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Cook sandwich, uncovered for about 4 minutes on each side, or until browned.
5. Remove from heat, let stand for one minute. Slice and serve.
Yield: 1 sandwich
Recipe Adapted from Gourmet Magazine