A “healthified” version of fries. These tasty fries will satisfy your crunchy salty cravings but at less than 100 calories per serving, you won’t feel the guilt! Perfect as a side dish or snack.
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1 egg, beaten
3 small zucchini
1/2 cup canned tomato-basil sauce (for dipping)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Combine cheese, panko, garlic powder, basil, and red pepper in a bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Place beaten egg in a shallow bowl.
4. Trim ends from zucchini and cut each in half crosswise. Quarter each zucchini half lengthwise to make 24 zucchini sticks.
5. Dip zucchini sticks in egg and then dredge in the panko mixture. Press to coat.
6. Place sticks on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray tops of zucchini with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with tomato-basil sauce for dipping.
Yield: 4 servings (94 calories, 3.9 g total fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 6.4 g protein, 9.3 g carbohydrate, 1.8 g fiber, 58 mg cholesterol)
Cooking Light Crave!, January 2013