A country captain is typically made with chicken – this recipe replaces the poultry with cauliflower and protein packed edamame. Serve over brown rice for a delicious meal that packs in the vegetables and whole grains.
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cups diced peeled Granny Smith apple
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp curry powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups organic vegetable broth
2 Tbsp mango chutney
2 Tbsp whipping cream
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups frozen shelled edamame
3 cups cooked rice (I use brown rice!)
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)
1. Heat a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan, and swirl to coat.
2. Add chopped onion, and cook for 7 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
3. Add apple and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add flour, curry, and garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes or until slightly thick. Stir in chutney, cream, and salt.
6. Add cauliflower and edamame; cook for 8 minutes or until cauliflower is tender, stirring occasionally.
7. Serve over rice, and top with currants and almonds. Garnish with cilantro and green onions, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (473 calories, 14.9 g total fat, 3.4 g saturated fat, 16.7 g protein, 70.6 g carbohydrate, 7.8 g fiber, 10 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, January 2011