Braising bone in chicken thighs yields tender and deliciously moist chicken. Kale is a powerhouse vegetable packed full of good-for-you nutrients. Delicious & Nutritious!
4 tsp canola oil
4 chicken leg quarters, skinless
black pepper and salt to taste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 garlic cloves, chopped
4-5 cups chopped kale (large ribs removed)
1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat on the stove. Add 2 tsp canola oil, swirl to coat.
3. Sprinkle chicken with black pepper and salt. Place flour in a dish and dredge the chicken.
4. Cook chicken (cook in batches if necessary) for 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.
5. Add remaining 2 tsp oil to pan. Add garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Add kale a cook for 3 – 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan.
6. Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
7. Remove chicken from pan, stir in vinegar. Serve chicken with kale mixture.
Yield: 4 Servings (412 calories, 15.7 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 45.9 g protein, 22.8 g carbohydrate, 3.7 g fiber, 161 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, November 2011