A quick and simple (yet romantic!) Valentine’s Day dinner for two. Serve with some mashed potatoes and a fresh salad for a complete meal. Don’t forget a glass red wine!
1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup water
2 tsp all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp minced garlic
salt and black pepper, to taste
2 (4-oz) beef tenderloin steaks
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sweet Marsala
1. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat.
2. Combine beef broth, water, flour, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir well to combine.
3. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steaks to pan, cook 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove steaks from pan.
4. Add mushrooms to pan and cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove mushrooms from pan.
5. Away from from heat, add marsala. Scrape pan to loosen browned bits.
6. Reduce heat. Add broth mixture to pan and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in mushrooms. Top steak with sauce for serving.
Yield: 2 servings (318 calories, 11.1 g total fat, 4.2 g saturated fat, 26.3 g protein, 11.9 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fiber, 78 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, November 2004