Mardi Gras celebrations are going on this weekend in St. Louis! This is a perfect New Orleans inspired meal to start the weekend off right. Serve with a side salad or fresh steamed veggies for a complete meal.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 Tbsp minced garlic
6 oz andouille sausage, sliced
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 pound peeled & deveined shrimp
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, minced garlic, and sausage. Saute 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Add rice and next 7 ingredients (through bay leaf) – cook 2 minutes.
3. Add broth, water, tomato paste, hot pepper sauce, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Add shrimp, cook 5 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 minutes to complete cooking.
6. Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley.
Yield: 4 servings (426 calories, 12.7 g total fat, 3.9 g saturated fat, 25 g protein, 4.9 g fiber, 117 mg cholesterol)
Adapted from Cooking Light, April 2005