Using fresh pears adds a nice freshness to this winter salad. Toss with a homemade honey mustard dressing for a delicious main dish beef salad. Bake the pecans on a baking sheet in the oven for even toasting – about 4 minutes at 350 degrees F.
4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 4 oz each)
1/2 tsp black pepper
5 oz mixed baby salad greens
1 medium red or green pear, wedged
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
1/2 cup honey mustard
2-3 Tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1. Season beef with black pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook steak for 7-9 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
2. Divide greens evenly among 4 bowls and top evenly with pears and cranberries.
3. Whisk honey mustard dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well blended. Set aside.
4. Carve steak into thin slices and season with salt, as desired. Divide steak evenly over salad.
5. Top each salad with dressing, pecans, and goat cheese.
Yield: 4 servings (321 calories, 14 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 67 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 26 g protein)
The Healthy Beef Cookbook – National Cattleman’s Association & The American Dietetic Association