Using fat-free or low-fat sour cream and extra veggies makes this hearty and filling dish guilt free. Serve over pasta or rice with a side of wilted spinach for a complete meal.
1 Tbsp olive oil
10 oz white button mushrooms, quartered
1 cup leeks, split and sliced into small squares
1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup pearl onions
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound skinless legs or thighs
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
2 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Add leeks, potatoes, celery, and pearl onions. Continue to cook until vegetables become soft, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Add chicken legs to pan, cover, and place in the heated oven for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Remove legs from the pan, return pan to stovetop and bring liquid to a boil. Add herbs and lemon juice.
5. Mix cornstarch and sour cream in a bowl. Add to the pan and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve sauce over chicken.
Yield: 4 servings (242 calories, 9 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 42 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate)
Keep the Beat Recipes – Deliciously Healthy Dinners