I love breakfast for dinner and this recipe for huevos rancheros is delicious! Homemade salsa really makes the dish. The black beans makes this meal hearty and filling without loading up on calories. Serve with a fresh fruit salad or a delicious fruit smoothie for a complete meal.
1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (19-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
8 (7-inch) corn tortillas
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1. Make the salsa by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
3. Place 1 tsp canola oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in black beans, chicken broth, and chiles. Simmer until beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. Mash the beans a little with a fork if the bean mixture is too runny. Turn off heat and keep warm.
4. While the beans cook, place 4 tortillas on the baking sheet lined with foil. Top with cheese and then top with remaining four tortillas. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven for about 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
5. Place remaining 1 tsp canola oil into skillet and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet and cook to desired firmness.
6. To assemble, top each tortilla with black bean mixture, salsa, and 1 egg. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings