If you have family and/or friends coming in town for the Holidays – this is a great easy to make breakfast casserole! Also great for Christmas morning, you make and refrigerate it the night before and just pop it in the oven when you wake up! No messing around in the kitchen while everyone else is opening presents! Serve with a fresh fruit salad for a complete meal.
16 oz turkey sausage
8 cups cubed sourdough bread (1/2-inch cubes)
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
1 cup egg substitute (like egg beaters)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 can condensed low-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage ot pan and cook 5 minutes or until browned. Stir well to crumble
2. Arrange bread in a 13×9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with cooked turkey sausage and cheddar cheese. Combine 2 1/2 cups milk, egg substitute, and dijon mustard – stir well with a whisk. Pour over bread mixture.
3. Cover casserole and refrigerate overnight.
4. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover casserole. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and cream of mushroom soup, stir well with whisk. Pour over bread mixture.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until set and lightly browned. Cool slightly before storing.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition Information per Serving: 321 calories, 10.8 g total fat, 5.3 g saturated fat, 22 g protein, 32.2 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fiber, 58 mg cholesterol
Cooking Light, October 2005