Delicious and easy meal! I love balsamic vinegar, so I tend to add more than the recipe calls for. Serve with some mascarpone mashed potatoes (see below for recipe) for a complete and balanced meal.
salt and pepper, as desired
3/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
4 (6-oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Combine salt, pepper, fennel seeds, garlic powder, and oregano. Brush chicken with 1 1/2 tsp olive oil and sprinkle spice rub over chicken.
3. Heat 1 1/2 tsp olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
4. Arrange chicken on an 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray (or line pan with foil). Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes or until done.
5. Heat remaining olive oil over medium-high. Add bell peppers, shallots, and rosemary and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar, and cook 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken.
Yield: 4 servings (292 calories, 9.3 g total fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 40.9 g protein, 8.8 g carbohydrate, 1.7 g fiber, 99 mg cholesterol)
Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes: Place 1 1/2 pounds cubed peeled Yukon gold potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Add 1⁄3 cup 2% milk, 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mash to desired consistency.
Cooking Light, November 2012