I finally bought a slow cooker and I have been using it quite often – so convenient! This recipe is for a delicious, tender, melt-in-your mouth pulled chicken with a homemade BBQ sauce. I love serving it in a toasted whole wheat bun with crunchy, creamy coleslaw on top.
3 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tsp canola oil
1 3/4 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp molasses
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp hot sauce
8 whole-wheat hamburger buns
1. Place onion in a 4-quart slow cooker.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan and add chicken. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place chicken in a single layer on top of onion.
3. Combine ketchup, vinegar, molasses, mustard, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder, and hot sauce in a bowl. Stir well and pour over chicken.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until chicken is tender and sauce is thick.
5. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Stir shredded chicken into sauce and serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition Information per Serving: 271 calories, 3.6 g total fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 33.6 g carbohydrate, 3.6 g fiber, 58 mg cholesterol
Cooking Light, Oxmoor House 2012