These turnovers are a great side dish with a simply cooked steak or chicken. Or, make it a meatless night and eat two! These are also great as leftovers – easily reheated in the microwave!
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 cups chopped kale (remove large ribbing)
1 (6-0z) package fresh baby spinach
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 (11.3-oz) can refrigerated dinner roll dough
2 1/2 Tbsp grated fresh parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, sauté 10 minutes or until tender and starting to caramelize. Add garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add kale and spinach and sauté 8 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir in pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and stir in feta cheese.
4. Separate dough into 8 pieces and roll each into a 5-inch circle. Spoon about 1/3 cup of kale/spinach mixture on half of each circle, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Fold dough over kale mixture until edges almost meet. Crimp edges closed.
5. Place turnovers on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat turnovers with cooking spray, sprinkle each turnover with about 1 tsp parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition Information per Serving: 184 calories, 5.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 8.1 g protein, 25.4 g carbohydrate, 2.7 g fiber, 110 mg calcium.
Adapted from Cooking Light, January 2007