The Holidays are right around the corner! These “Healthified” chocolate chip cookies won’t bust your calorie budget! Packed full of good nutrition from the applesauce, whole-wheat flour, oats, and nuts, these cookies will fill you up with fewer calories and a delicious taste! One of my favorite cookies to bake!
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup shortening
1 ¼ cups applesauce (unsweetened)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup white flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup quick oats
1 cup chocolate chips (or dried fruit)
1 cup chopped nuts (I often use walnuts)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cream sugar and shortening until well blended. Stir in egg, and beat until smooth.
3. Combine applesauce and baking soda, and add to mixture. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flours, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in egg mixture and blend well. Add oatmeal, chocolate chips and nuts; stir until mixture is well moistened.
5. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack.