We all know that fruits and vegetables are PACKED full of all that good-for-you nutrition! These nutrients are an essential part of a healthy diet. Clean and cook your produce in the best possible way to retain as many nutrients as possible! Here’s How:
– High temperatures and long cooking times can destroy heat-sensitive nutrients like folate and vitamin C
– Clean thick-skinned fruits and vegetables with a soft brush under running water. Soaking produce may cause some nutrients to dissolve in the water.
– Steam vegetables instead of boiling in water. Boiling causes many nutrients to leach out into the water – and then you dump them down the drain! Instead, steam your vegetables or save the water after boiling for use in soups, stews, and sauces – just freeze it until ready to use!
– Microwave your vegetables – quick cooking times helps prevent the heat-sensitive nutrients from breaking down.
– Buy often. The longer you keep some of your fresh fruits & vegetables, the more likely some nutrients will begin to break down.
Remember – eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to get the widest range of nutrients!