This warm butternut squash salad recipe is a delicious, restaurant-quality dish. Eat alone or serve with your favorite roasted chicken or beef tenderloin recipe. This salad also goes over well at a dinner party!
1 butternut squash, peeled and 3/4-inch diced
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
salt and pepper as desired
3 Tbsp dried cranberries
3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp minced shallots
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 ounces baby arugula, washed and well dried
1/2 cup walnuts halves, toasted
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Toss butternut squash with 2 Tbsp olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Place on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until tender. Add cranberries to pan for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
3. Combine apple cider, vinegar, and shallots in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook until the cider is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Take off the heat and whisk in the mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, and salt and pepper as desired.
4. Place washed and dried arugula in a large salad bowl and add the squash mixture, walnuts, and grated parmesan cheese.
5. Toss with vinaigrette as desired or serve on the side. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe from: Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, 2008, Food Network Chanel