This cheesy chicken pasta with fresh spinach is a delicious and comforting meal. Serve with some crusty bread or a fresh, crunchy salad. You can serve this family style out of a large casserole dish or in individual portion-controlled ramekins.
1 tsp olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 cups hot cooked penne
1 (16 oz) package reduced fat cottage cheese
2 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken breast
1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
1 can condensed low-fat, low-sodium cream of chicken soup
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper and sauté 4 minutes or until tender.
3. Add spinach, oregano, and pepper and sauté 3 minutes or until spinach wilts.
4. Process cottage cheese in a food processor until very smooth.
5. Combine spinach mixture, cottage cheese, pasta, chicken, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, milk, and soup in a large bowl. Spoon into a baking dish coated with cooking spray and top with remaining cheddar and parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. If cooking in individual ramekins, reduce time to about 15 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition Information per Serving: 345 calories, 9.7 g total fat, 5.1 g saturated fat, 31.7 g protein, 32.9 g carbohydrate, 2.1 g fiber, 56 mg cholesterol, 532 mg sodium
Cooking Light, March 2006