These scones are a great breakfast to make ahead of time. By freezing them and only baking when needed, you always have a fresh warm scone to enjoy! Perfect to make over the weekend to enjoy during the week – just pop them in the oven while you get ready in the morning.
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
10 oz package deli ham, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 cup heavy cream (I usually use fat-free half-and-half)
1/4 cup sour cream (I use reduced-fat sour cream)
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Drizzle in the melted butter and stir. Mix in 1 1/2 cups cheese, ham, and chives.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and sour cream and add to the dough mixture stirring until everything is moistened and the dough sticks together.
5. On a lightly floured surface, form the dough into a round that is 1 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter. Cut into wedges (i usually cut into 10-12 wedges). Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Freeze until ready to bake (at least 10 minutes). If freezing for an extended period of time, wrap the wedges in plastic wrap after the dough has hardened.
6. When ready to bake, heat the oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle scones with remaining cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and slightly firm. Cool slightly on pan, serve warm.