What are the benefits of fruits and vegetables?
- Naturally low in calories, fat, saturated fat, and sodium
- A good source of vitamins and minerals to keep your body functioning at its best.
- High in fiber, which gives you a feeling of fullness, so you eat less!
- The richest source of vitamins to keep your immune system operating at its best.
- Eat a rainbow of colors to get the best variety of nutrients to stay healthy!
How much fruits and vegetables do you need?
- Aim for two servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables.
What’s a serving size?
- Serving sizes are now comparable to cups. One cup equals:
- Fruit: 1 small apple, 1 large banana, 1 medium grapefruit
- Vegetables: 12 baby carrots, 2 cups of raw greens, 1 large sweet potato
Quick Fact: People who eat plenty of fruits and vegetables as part of a healthy diet have a lower risk of many diseases, including stroke, type 2 diabetes, some cancer, heart disease, and high blood pressure.